Tuesday 1 April 2008

"Pumping Iron"

I had a really cr*p climbing session last week, probably the worst i've had for a long time. Looking back on it I really shouldn't have even tried, I was in a foul mood, tired and stressed however I ignored all of the above and headed to the works. After about an hour of climbing like a donkey and snapping at Nat I decided to call it quits, I've been getting quite a lot of pain in the center of my right hand and its no longer just a dull ache that I can put down to an achy break, its soft tissue and it's not good so once again climbing is on the back burner due to injury (which is pretty frustrating given last year).

At the weekend James, Nat and I headed to the cinema to see the Bank Job. Thoroughly enjoyed this and stayed up far too late afterwards playing Halo and then watching the Making of Pumping Iron with james. The next day I decided to watch the actual film, its pretty damn impressive, if you don't know it it follows bodybuilders both Amateurs and Pro's for a year leading up to Mr Universe/Olympia. Its a great film, in which Arnold comes across pretty well (a little arrogant as well) and was pretty good timing seeing as though i'm once again limited to a gym rather than climbing. I wasn't psyched but now i am. I just got back from my first session and i'm predicting soreness tomorrow.

Here are a few clips from Pumping Iron, I think most of its on youtube in a 9 part series thingy.
2:

5:


It seems Doylo's blog that I linked below has gone, I wonder if it got pulled by Blogger for being pure filth.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Good to see someone else appreciates such a classic film!!

You training at Virgin again?

Gareth

Paul Bennett said...

Haha
No, I got pissed off with virgin after they tried to screw me out of a few months membership despite the fact I was once again messed up.
I went back to greens, its cheaper, closer and the first month is free etc.
Would be interested to know your training split now, I looked into one but I havent a clue how to do a lot of the exercises, just did my usual today which was a bit of a shock after not lifting anything for a while.

Unknown said...

Have been following this since christmas, still doing well from it and it also works quite well for me as I have hardly any time at the moment and it means each workout is only about 45mins. I do between 3 and 6 sets of each exercise, depending on how I feel. Think it is lacking on the leg front, but the climber in me just can't bring itself to add weight to my sparrow legs!lol.

Mon - Chest: Flat and incline bench (I use barbell for one and dumbells for the other and swap round every few weeks); and decline bench or dumbell flys or cable crossovers, depending how I feel!

Tues - Back: deadlift, barbell rows and weighted chins (sometimes throw a couple of sets of lat pulldown in finish off).

Thurs - Arms: Pretty varied depending on how I feel but normally along the lines of: close grip bench, french press and one max set of dips.

barbell curls (sometimes supersetted with french press), either preacher curls or incline dumbell curls. (try to keep sets low for biceps, fell into the classic rookie mistake of overtraining them at first!)

Fri - Shoulders/legs: Squats or leg press machine.

Dumbell or barbell shoulder press, shrugs and then finish with supersets of front raises, lateral raises and bentover raises for to really destroy the shoulders!


What kinda splits you looking at? I might be due a change soon!

Doylo said...

doylos blog has not been pulled, something up with that particular link though. Use the link in the links section.

Paul Bennett said...

sorry doyle, it must be my incompetence.

Gareth: I don't know really, I was a four day upper lower split looked like a gooer but really is the lower body that important to me? not really even though i'm unlikely to put any size on at all unless I start eating like a horse, or like Serge Nubret and eating horse daily.
The thing is any of the other splits that neglect the lower body would just require rest days in between which isn't too productive either. I'd really like to stick in the three big lifts, bench, deadlift and squats probably with pendlay row as well but these require good form and I haven't a clue, another injury isn't what I want....
I got given four free member days if you fancy trying out greens sometime, no doubt they'll send you masses of membership rubbish in return.

lore said...

"if you have never puked after a bicep curl, you don't know what high intensity body building is."
schwarzy.

Please disregard anything you read on this page. It's all just random thoughts and opinions based on very little. Therefore it's not worth getting upset about. In fact; just don't bother reading it, it'd make life easier for everyone involved.