Thursday 24 April 2008

Etiquette

At the crag or down the wall there is certainly good and bad etiquette, taking your turn to get on problems, not leaving your rope in a route all day so that other people can have a crack (even if it has taken over your life for the last few weeks, months or in some case years). Brushing off excess chalk, tick marks, litter etc. Its annoying when people don't do these things although that's (reasonably) rare in climbing.
The same kind of etiquette exists in the gym, you ask if your unsure whether someones finished with something, you don't monopolize equipment (i.e. smith machines) for sets and sets and sets.
The gym is busy at the minute, its sunny outside so everybody thinks their biceps need to be bigger for the summer. Today was my chest, shoulders and core session and one women was obviously hell bent on being a pain in the arse. Firstly she was using a bench, the dead-lift bar, a cable stack and a pull down machine, with her various accessories draped over each to ensure she could use whatever whenever, now this p*ssed me off a little bit as I had to sit for a fair length of time for a free bench. (This wasn't helped when a bench became free. Some old guy sat on it, I asked whether or not he was using it and he said that "Yes, that womens using the machine I want so i'm having a sit down").
When I finally got a bench I was doing incline presses with (reasonably) heavy dumbbells. Halfway through my second set, same wench decided that she'd use the back of my bench for her feet as she did dips between her bench and my own. Now on the second set my stabilizer muscle's, (especially my triceps) are tired and the smooth arc the dumbbell followed in the first set is a bit wobbly. This wasn't aided by the fact that the bench had a nice rocking motion due to dipping bird. Now this IS bad behavior, at least have the decency to ask first and if you're not even going to do that then do your dips between my sets.
This annoyed me more than a little bit, its not as if she's new. She's thinner than well....me. by a mile and has run her femininity away over the years. I'd have said something if she hadn't of then left.
Maybe I'm just a grouch.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

bad form. tell her where to go...

Paul Bennett said...

I'll just drop my iron on her twig like legs. That'll learn her.

Please disregard anything you read on this page. It's all just random thoughts and opinions based on very little. Therefore it's not worth getting upset about. In fact; just don't bother reading it, it'd make life easier for everyone involved.