Friday 1 May 2009

A (wo)man a van a plan...

Yesterday I was stuck in Warwick listening to a bunch of 4th years who'd misunderstood their brief and thus their work was fairly useless in terms of development (maybe refinement is a better word) of a piece of code. It was a long day, I left at 6 and returned home at 9. Unfortunately, it was all a waste of time.
Currently my hand is suffering from a weird reaction to something. Either it was Sundays mussels, Mondays heavily nutty curry or the leather cream I used to try and undo the damage the hot spell is having on the Punto's steering wheel. Whatever it is I want it to go away so I can feel confident that dipping my hand into a bucket of chalk isn't going to cause lots of irritation. I think my injury could do with some more progressive loading and this isn't helping!

Onto the main point;
Two years ago when I happened to hit the mats in an unfortunate position, messing myself up, one of the first things to pass through my mind was the fact that my end of uni summer climbing tour wasn't going to happen. In fact, I believe it was the first thing I said to Nat when she got over to me. I was devastated about that. Even more so when the day came to sell the van which I had hunted high and low for.
This trip, we bumped into a number of people we knew from Sheffield all of whom were travelling around in vans and having the time of their life. Finally Nat realised what she'd missed out on and maybe this was the first admission of how much she's really been enjoying climbing since starting. So, she hatched a plan.
In our industry Chartership matters. Once you have this qualification you're employable and people want you. Currently she's being offered great opportunities left right and centre, one of which is to co-author some major design standards that will be highly influential for the foreseeable future. Funnily enough this also involves my PhD supervisor who is also keen to persuade Nat that a part-time PhD would be great. Chartership isn't far off for her and at this point (2 years or so) she plans to ask for a sabbatical, if its not granted she's going to quit.
Its really reassuring when she turned round to me and explained her mighty plan as to be brutally honest I wasn't seeing it happening she's just been doing too well...

No comments:

Please disregard anything you read on this page. It's all just random thoughts and opinions based on very little. Therefore it's not worth getting upset about. In fact; just don't bother reading it, it'd make life easier for everyone involved.