Monday 30 March 2009

Amateur

Having not had much enthusiasm to train recently everything has become a bit slack. I haven't been indoors much and when I have, I haven't really tried all that hard, preferring to sag back to Terre Firma than actually pull hard. Team this with my amateurish attitude to skin from the previous weekend and you have the perfect recipe for a disappointing day at the Tor. Yesterday, weepy, hurty bruised skin stopped me from feeling particularly good on anything. I couldn't manage the move on Ben's roof where you (or I) take my feet off and plonk them on the sidewall (I was cruising on this just a few weekends ago), this left me feeling frustrated with myself. I've got a trip coming up in less than a month, I don't want to have peaked too early or waste it by not being on form or worse; because I haven't given it my all before I leave! Maybe I just wasn't on it, maybe it was too warm, whatever it was it certainly wasn't great.
When we then decided to leave (5.30 ish) it was evident that I'd made another amateurish mistake, the conditions had improved massively just in time for the so-called 'hour of power'. We arrived in the heat of the day, with bad skin, and yet persevered? Foolish behaviour, which I won't be repeating anytime soon.

Next weekend we are away so I'm going to pack in the training this week as much as possible. Tomorrow night Nat and I will try and squeeze in an evening tor session. My lock felt particularly weak yesterday and it's about time I did another Beastmaker phase. NO MORE BEER...or tequila...

A few things crossed my mind yesterday (whilst being grouchy of course);

  • Kids and climbing are all well and good but when they have little or no understanding of crag etiquette and their guardian would prefer to get stuck into Staminaband rather than to stop them chanting (loudly) behind someone climbing then the two simply don't go together.
  • People who walk over and try whatever you're trying for the sake of it are annoying, especially when their kids are running around being a pain.
  • IF there isn't enough room for you to get in between me and the bit of rock I'm about to pull on to, suppose there may just be a reason. Especially if your kids are running around being a pain.
  • Climbing or more to the point BOULDERING is far too accessible.
  • Sheffield will be getting a real treat in under a month when UKB's latest pair of buildering fanatics head our way, supposedly climbing full-time no doubt not living in a woodshed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too find it helps if I'm having a bad day to take it out on my kids, or the wife, or the dog or failing that pensioners out for a stroll. Don't get my started on top ropers.

Simon (Lee)

Simon Reed said...

Dear Paul
Dont think I know you but have much admired your feats of power and skill. I was alerted to your blog by Stone recently.
Sorry my kids were such a pain that Sunday pm at the Tor. rather like you I love to climb, but unlike you my time and availability to do so is so much more limited.Unfortunately on the very odd occaision I have to drag the kids out with me to get an hour or so climbing in, something that involves best part of a 3 hour round drive.
I was more concerned about the comments (however grouchy you were feeling) about me seemingly getting in your way and showing no respect. I know conditions were bad bu come on thats a bit too far.
Although I cant match for power the things you and many of the boys (and girls) crank out now days, I have a long history in the Peak of new routes, bolting gluing, cleaning, belaying providing beta, advice etc over the years and have always maintained a deal of integrity and fair play. Unfortunately, age,injury and other circumstances have reduced my opportunities to climb as much or as well, but a quick session at RT is as valuable for me as it is for you, and unlike yourself it is sometimes two or three weeks between sessions. Therefor I grab what I can. Raven Tor has always been a friendly place and although a venue where the best display their talents its not an elitist venue.
Of course I'd review the sensibilities of dragging my kids out again to RT, but the critisism inherent in your blog is unneccessary and smacks of superiority. I wonder what comments i'd have got if I'd finally finnished off mecca extension that day. 'simon Reed lands big tick despite unruly kids'

Anyway, hope to see you out at Tor sometime and you can give me your beta for the start of SB.

regards

Simon Reed

Please disregard anything you read on this page. It's all just random thoughts and opinions based on very little. Therefore it's not worth getting upset about. In fact; just don't bother reading it, it'd make life easier for everyone involved.