Wednesday 30 July 2008

Not quite feeling the penguin...

Ok, this post is a little less intense than the last:

Last Thursday I had quite a big meeting regarding progress so far with my PhD. The intention was to tie off any loose ends and present a decent conclusion for all my work up to date, obviously I was busy. Add to that the fact that another avenue showed potential and my week got a lot busier, Thursday came and went well and I put in extra effort to finalize something before my supervisor was off on holidays for two weeks. That was a mistake, it backfired and she basically suggested that due to the efficiency that I'm working that it would be reasonable for me to transfer from mphil to the full on course in two weeks time on her return, just before I'm off windsurfing for two weeks. B*llocks, two very busy weeks for me then. I'd hope I might be able to justify a trip to Ceuse as a mate had emailed asking whether I fancied it, its not my favorite place but at least the weather is a tad more reliable, anyway thats a non starter now.
The following weekend we visited my family which was good and I finally got a proper drive of the new car, it's a nippy one for sure but it's not thrilling to be honest, more of a rep mobile. Oh and the mpg is cr*p compared to the previous Audi.
This weekend we visited Nat's family for a company bbq which was fantastic and a great laugh however I'm always put in a difficult position at these events. Basically Nat and I aren't fussed about drinking so we offered to drive, her younger brother said the same and seeing as though he's ensured on the 7 series (much more room), we took him up on it. We arrived and he started drinking like a fish, thankfully the heat caught up with him and he got so de-hydrated he switched to water and several hours later was surely fine to drive. I've got to admit however that I'm not really that comfortable getting in a car with any of her family with their lax attitude to the alcohol limit, not to mention an over enthusiastic teenager in a 350 bhp monster. His driving was appalling and (as with Nat previously) seems to understand very little about driving at a reasonable pace, there are some do's and some definite don'ts. Cars DO NOT like you decelerate or brake mid corner, its a terrifying feeling.

Due to all of this gallivanting I haven't been as consistent at the gym, I did chest today and despite feeling a little pre-cold in the back of my throat I did fairly well. I arrived late again which means the workout was rushed, I need to stop doing this. Tomorrow will be a back day unless Dobbin calls and has a sensible suggestion for going out somewhere, with this heat though I can't really think of a suitable afternoon destination that appeals.


On another more geeky note I got sick of this laptop taking an age to boot and generally breaking more often than it ought to so I had a crack at installing Ubuntu, it wasn't a straightforward process but I'm getting there now and this is the first post under the new OS and I've got to say that everything works much quicker and of course its all free with excellent support! It'll be interesting to see how these distro's develop in the future.

7 comments:

bonjoy said...

You boys might consider a trip to the Chee Cornice. Was there yesterday, most is still pretty wet but everything right of RnP is totally dry and was pleasantly cool. Had a crack at Unleashing, it's pretty hard at 8a but well worth it's three stars. I'm pretty psyched to get back on it. At the moment the worst bolts (the first 4) have been replaced with new stainless by persons unknown and the top few bolts whilst in need of replacement are good enough and close enough together for it to feel ok for the moment. I think I'll rebolt it mid August if it's still dry.

Paul Bennett said...

Dave H said that Chee Cornice was a sopping mess, as bad as he's seen it?

bonjoy said...

?? I wasn't imagining myself climbing the dry route on the dry section of the crag i was recommending, or has DH climbed there in the last 24 hours and everything has got wet?
As said, Unleashing is in good nick and is very good. It's one of the peaks 7 three star 8as (going by Northern Limestone), pretty much always dry, always shady. Strangely unpopular, probably cos it's hard. Thought you might fancy a change from the WCJ cornice ;)

Paul Bennett said...

you're not wrong as it was annoyingly damp on everything. Dave said he'd been down the night before I think? I'm not making much progress on Monster either so I think i'll knock that on the head.
Rubicon was sweaty unsurprisingly and I didn't bother wasting another day on HFC as all it needs is one cold evening, the same with TOTBB, save it for a chilly day. Ben did it after a little faff, ed flashed it.

bonjoy said...

That's how I am with my project at Rubicon at the mo. Have put in as much groundwork as I can, I'm now just waiting for some cool temps/no flooding. Just hope my specific fitness for the route is still around by the time the conditions improve.

Paul Bennett said...

got to say it looks rather good your project. Dare I push you for a grade hint?
I've also got the problem that in two weeks i'm off on holiday for a fortnight...

bonjoy said...

It feels a lot harder than Caviar, probably a very hard 8a+/ yorkshire 8b.

Please disregard anything you read on this page. It's all just random thoughts and opinions based on very little. Therefore it's not worth getting upset about. In fact; just don't bother reading it, it'd make life easier for everyone involved.