Tuesday 22 July 2008

Gym Class Hero

Friday was a rushed day, Nat was finishing work early and I needed to catch a train up to Wakefield before we could dash up the M1 to my folks. Despite this I still managed to squeeze in my scheduled back session, I've changed it up a bit now so that the first exercise is weighted wide grip pull ups. Previously I've had to balance two weights on their ends and then pick the top dumbbell up with my feet and commence pull-ups, it's very difficult to try hard when you have to worry about keeping the dumbell in place. A gym monster pointed out that the instructors have a dipping belt which you can attach plates to but that they keep it hidden so that it doesn't go missing. This obviously makes it a lot easier to focus on the pulls instead of anything else.
Later on in the workout gym monster was searching out the same dumbbells as I (him for chest press, myself for bent over row) but they've gone MIA and the new sand filled ones are so huge in diameter that your range of motion is cut down severely. In the end I cut the weight down and supplemented it with heavy cable rows (i've kind of dropped this exercise now as the stack isn't huge and its a 2:1 pulley set up). After I finished I looked up to find the monster looking shocked he then commented "You're shifting a lot of weight for your size". YES! Dobbin and I have discussed many times the fact that lots of people in their youthful climbing stages seek out recognition then eventually grow out of it, myself included (That might put me right in the firing line). It seems i've not yet passed that stage in lifting, although I don't think it was in the same manner, more about someone confirming the progress that I think i've made.
Since rambling on UKB about diet, fitness etc. I've had a massive barrage of request for more info regarding the diet side of things, instead of writing three (not quite that massive) seperate emails all saying vaguely the same thing I thought it would be better to type it up as a blog post. Before I do, bear in mind that i'm not recommeding this to anyone as a way to better their climbing or saying that it's appropriate for them, neither have I utilised it for climbing gains. It's just a methodology, something that interests me and thats enough.

No comments:

Please disregard anything you read on this page. It's all just random thoughts and opinions based on very little. Therefore it's not worth getting upset about. In fact; just don't bother reading it, it'd make life easier for everyone involved.