Monday 14 July 2008

Incline Bias

Fridays are usually quiet in the Gym around 15:00 but I arrived a little later and found it ram packed full of Taxi-Drivers who seem to work out daily before starting their evening shift. Naturally, both smith machines were taken. I managed to scavenge a bench and decided to start out with Incline Dumbell Press, originally a weakness that I targeted. On all other push/chest days I've been doing something that causes the upper chest pre-fatigue but on Friday it was its time to shine after all of the hard work on the flat bench (where gains are coming thick and fast, strength wise anyway).

I started with a few light sets making sure not to press too high in order to keep the stabilizer muscles (triceps in this case) from collapsing before my chest in the latter sets. Then it was time. I picked up the 22's, which are large and unwieldy and slumped onto the bench wrenching them up onto my knees (I need to kick them back with my knees to avoid injury). The first set feels easy, the second was a bit of a tussle, the third, well that was hard. An acquaintance rushed over to spot me and urged me on in exactly the same manner that you do to someone trying hard on a problem (Today Ned, nice one btw). The weights crashed to the floor, exhausted I carried on with the rest of the workout. The rest of the workout followed in a similar manner. PSYCHED.
On another note it seems like I've been going to the gym long enough and consistently enough to be considered a regular. The sometimes hostile feeling free weights area is now a lot more friendly, the positive thing about all of this is that I can now benefit from a wealth of experience.
I spoke to Dylan on Friday as well, he's building a board, not to far away from here which could be great, he didn't entertain the idea that I still wasn't really climbing, but honestly I'm not, not in the same way at least. I go out now and again but I'm putting in about 90% less effort than for the previous few years that's for sure.
Nat dragged me to Cliffhanger today so that she could see the standard of the women's final, I was really impressed my Mina, bit of a dark horse there and she obviously thrived in front of a crowd as at the works she hasn't ever seemed to climb that well, or not when I've seen her anyway. Ned won the men's which is a monumental effort.

No comments:

Please disregard anything you read on this page. It's all just random thoughts and opinions based on very little. Therefore it's not worth getting upset about. In fact; just don't bother reading it, it'd make life easier for everyone involved.