Thursday 2 October 2008

Working out with Rab!

Well I didn't manage to go to the gym on Tues as my report dragged on for longer than it ought to. Only slightly annoying seeing as though she didn't read it when she said she would and hence I could of relaxed a little more and handed it in a day later than I did. No worries though, that draft is out of the way.
As I'd worked myself into the ground I allowed myself to sleep in until I woke. This is to try and avoid becoming ill or even worse having a disappointing training session (of which I've only had a few).
Warmed up then went on Bench to start with, I'm still reasonably poor at this exercise and its getting annoying, i've seen gains they're just not fast enough for my liking something not true of the next exercise, Deadlift.
The other day (see below) I did a pb of 100kg but I knew deep down that I could get more out it, I was nowhere near my limit. The first few sets I went light, 40kg for 8, 60kg for 6, 80kg for 6 to ensure my back was fully warmed up and ready to be tested. I wandered over to the other side of the gym to enforce a decent rest period and to pick up more plates on the way in. I took my time racking up the bar and stood there for a while looking at it and psyching myself up. Feet in the right position, one glance forward to set myself correctly, then one to the side mirror. No straps, no belts, overhand grip. I started to push and it came so easily, no shrugging at the top and I locked my shoulders back and chest forward. Done. 5kg's more. Repeat. 5kg's more. Repeat. Repeat. The next thing I knew I was tiring (a lot of reps so far), I had 120Kg laying in front of me. I pushed hard and with a little grunt locked my chest forward, nodded at myself in the mirror and lowered the weight before grinning wildly. 10kg more on the bar but this time it felt welded to the floor. With the advice of Dense ringing in my ears I quit "While I still have a back!". I'm not sure if 120kg is my limit as I did so many reps beforehand, it can't be far off mind but that 145kg doesn't seem so elusive now.

So that's it 120kg @ 54 kg (weighed just after). Richdraws from UKB reliably informed me that 'Mighty Malc' did 190kg i'm not sure what at, 65-70?

As I finished off the rest of my workout (notably struggling on the next two exercises, Weighted dips and pulls, super setted together), I noticed a bearded, muscled greying older wad working out in the corner. Some items of clothing screamed climber and it didn't take me long to work out it was Rab, he'd noticed the faded BBC vest I was wearing and we had a brief chat. I hope i'm busting out 8a's when I'm his age I really do. Wad.

For anyone lacking pysch out there check out this Ronnie tribute (he deadlifts 800lb's!).

2 comments:

richdraws@hotmail.com said...

YYFY!

I got my double bodyweight deadlift today, 150 kilo for 3 reps. Also trained clean and jerk properly for the first time, it kicks up a lot of testosterone. I am sat at my desk feeling like a viking or something.

Paul Bennett said...

Nice rich!

Please disregard anything you read on this page. It's all just random thoughts and opinions based on very little. Therefore it's not worth getting upset about. In fact; just don't bother reading it, it'd make life easier for everyone involved.