Sunday 7 September 2008

Holiday Blues...

Just before going on holiday I worked like a demon to meet some fairly unrealistic targets thrust upon me.
One of the final conclusions I made was that "where .... is interesting the effects are not significant when compared to the effects of more hydrodynamic structures". That's taken a year of effort and my time and I'm currently painstakingly making corrections to a report for the nth time that comes to that very conclusion and it's really making me start to question what on earth I thought I was doing signing up for this?
The corrections just seem meaningless given the context, if the end results is of no significance then the method I used to get there is even less so, what happens if the next two years are devoted to taking this further in another context which ends up with the same conclusion? It certainly doesn't make for a meaningful qualification in my mind at least. The other alternative of course is to go down the same path as Nat but that's not something that even she is enjoying, despite her worker bee tendency. The final option of course is (to quote a fairly tacky line) break the mould and do something else with myself, a few ideas flick around in the back of my mind but I really haven't a clue how to make them feasible and I'm not talking free loading sporting bum type career choices either.
Sorry for the whinge which is almost undoubtedly down to coming back from one of my best holidays to date.
On a climbing note (something a bit new and different), Nat hassled me into taking her to the Foundry on friday night. I have to say the place looked sad and vulnerable centered amongst all of the re-development. The same crowd of Friday night locals I knew from around 3 years ago where all there but that was it. I climbed suprisingly well although the firmness on the mat's stopped me from pushing myself on the hardest of the problems. My fingers didn't really thank me for the Foundry reunion, they felt crunchy and generally bad throughout the night. I also managed to upset Ed "concave chest, the human matchstick" Horseley by making reference to Serpico's sports science papers re: rate coding and the uselessness of adding weight for sports specific movements. He looked genuinely hurt. The plus point of all this is of course that the Foundry is only 2 mins away from our flat, hence the evening was much less rushed due to not having to rush across town.

No comments:

Please disregard anything you read on this page. It's all just random thoughts and opinions based on very little. Therefore it's not worth getting upset about. In fact; just don't bother reading it, it'd make life easier for everyone involved.