Tuesday 23 September 2008

Climbing, lifting and all that malarkey.

The last few weeks have been very busy for me, I'm on draft no. god knows of my transfer report and its got to the point where I didn't get chance to sleep on Sunday night trying to make another unrealistic submission. The knock on effect is that I went to bed early last night and slept for about 18 hours and surprise surprise i'm now not tired, at all.

Saturday night was good as for my Christmas present Nat got me tickets to Lee Evans at the Hallam Arena, that place is massive. The gig was good but not as good as his XXL tour DVD and was ruined slightly at the end by him singing a non comic song about environmental affairs.

Right onto the more interesting stuff.
A while ago now I ended up down at the works with Nat as we were shopping afterwards. On arrival I was met by the enthusiasm of Ryan and Dave M who were both more than keen for me to get my boots on, unfortunately minutes after I agreed they both buggered off but James Blay (now works for wildcountry) turned up and I had a good session. I surprised myself by flashing the majority of the comp wall problems, narrowly missing out on the flash of one of the harder problems as my elbow collided with a blue bolt-a-ledge, unfortunately the session was ruined near the end. I decided to do some chest o n the rings as I knew I'd be too sore/tired to fit in my expected chest session the next day. Within seconds of getting the rings down I had a sea of idiots surrounding me and jumping in whenever possible. I was talking James through the muscle up and an idiot showed up to add his 2p who I had previously taught the same thing. I gave up and left a little annoyed by the whole affair.
Sensing then that this may be the time to re-kickstart the whole climbing affair I forced myself back a few days later, now this session again reminded me about another problem with the works, once you've done the harder problems on the comp wall there isn't a great deal of hard, good problems available. There's a lot of things well within your limit and a tricky circuit with one or two harder problems but consistently hard problems just don't exist. Oh and the training board is w*nk, missing half the holds put on it since it evolved into a 'fixed' problem board.

On the whole climbing front my Dad called on Tuesday morning last week (I think) and said he was coming to Stanage with a friend and would I like to come out tradding? I'd like to point out at this time that the other two members of the group bailed seeing the weather forecast ergo my family does NOT have a pessimistic gene as Dobbin would like to believe.
I spent the day romping up a load of easy routes and really enjoyed myself. I even spied some routes i'd like to return to climb. It's also good to see my Dad progress. I'm not a second generation climber as the previous paragraph might suggest, my Dad started after getting sick and tired of driving me around to crags and to meet people and decided (when I went to Uni) that he'd see what all the fuss is about (quite a logical choice given he loves walking [Dull]).

In the gym things have been going fairly well but as I'm increasingly busy I've tried to mix things up so that I can train less:
Superset:
Flat Bench
Deadlift

Superset:
Weighted Pull-ups
Weighted Dips

Superset:
Pendalay row
Military Press [Currently Arnold Press]

3 sets of 8 although I should really go for 5x5, I just hate it. My body has always responded best to this kind of training 1 day on 1 day off, I'm not sure I subscribe to the theory that you can train every day without ensuring that your isolation of different areas is infallible. It seems to work with some people though but I do think some people struggle with the fact that less can be more, it seems to be a common theme in newbie quieries on power etc.
I found these on exrx.net (they're in lb's)
It made it quite obvious that my goal of getting the big 100kg bench press is going to be very hard, for my bodyweight (56kg, so 123lb's) that's classed as ELITE. My 1 RM's seem to fit in somewhere between Inter and Advanced which I'm pleased with given the definitions on the site.

I don't know whats happened recently but I seem to unseemingly encounter people being less than discrete in various 'acts', my lunch last week on Dev Green was somewhat ruined when I realized that the two alki chavs sat on the near by wall were tending to each other and today at the gym, there I was drinking at the water fountain looking down into the pool to see some jabba the hut looking female tending to her partner in the Jacuzzi. Dear me.

The car is still being overly Italian, Dobbin said it well when he told me that "I'd done my time with an Alfa group car", not wrong! Fuel management sensor failure is it's latest failure as well as Engine Failure, Hill-brake failure, Airbag Failure...the list goes on.

About two weeks ago my router started smelling, of burning components and lett of a little puff before it died. I bought a replacement which had an intermittent signal fault and had hassle returning it and now it seems that the next router that I've bought has some major issues.
Two wried connections, Desktop and Xbox360, two wireless Ubuntu laptop and win xp. Set up using the factory wizard, WPA encryption yet when one laptop is connected the other will detect it as an ad-hoc network. An hour of Netgear help later (their initial suggestions were to turn off security, NO and to delete all of my other preferred networks, NO) they agreed that it was screwed so I now have to return it ebuyer. I also bought a 15 quid wireless access point to configure with my Xbox, I'm now thinking that was a bad move with all this hassle trying to get a basic one working. The silver lining is that Netgear are replacing the first faulty router even though its out of the warranty period.

No comments:

Please disregard anything you read on this page. It's all just random thoughts and opinions based on very little. Therefore it's not worth getting upset about. In fact; just don't bother reading it, it'd make life easier for everyone involved.