Thursday 25 September 2008

Cabin Fever

Yesterday I had to wait in for the original netgear router to be picked up between 9 and 5 (good accuracy there), and today i'm stuck in again waiting for the ebuyer router to be collected. No doubt returning it will be an absolute hassle. I should of taken screenshots of the problem to prove it to them but I didn't so I'll just have to cross my fingers that its pain free.
The transfer report is edging ever closer to the standard of perfection my supervisor demands. You're required by the uni to write a 6 page report to transfer, thats it. However, I was told to write up my lit review and technical findings which puts the document closer to 106 pages. WHY?
Sorry about this but the whingey tone of the post is due to the fact that i'm due to go to the gym and having an off peak membership means I have to be out by 5, if the b*ggers don't come soon then thats it for today and I hate not being able to train when it suits.
Yesterday. after spending the whole day without uttering a word to anyone, it didn't take a lot of convincing from Nat for me to enlist on spotting duty. I was appalled to see that the comp wall has been reset with HUGE holds. Seriously. I think there are three problems that are going to 'challenge' (and I use that term loosely) the stronger of the Sheffield masses. V. Poor.
Somone asked me why I have such a downer on the place and it's simply that it had the chance to be something amazing and it turned into puntering mediocrity. The original layout had a training area and a free weights area none of which really materialised. I'd love to be able to scrap my gym membership and have somewhere else to train, boards, weights and rings but it doesn't exist and I havent got enough space here in the flat.
Last week when I climbed, two main weak areas (well 3) shone through:
Fingers - they felt crunchy and a bit lacking
Core - Weak weak weak weak
(and the age old Flexibility issue.)
These will need addressing upon re-psych.

3 comments:

Jasper said...

Have to agree. A free weights area and a decent board would transform the place. The training board has been spoiled by too many circuits of massive jugs which get in the way of the good harder up problems and the fact that the holds are now minging and need a good clean. While I can't complain that the comp wall problems are generally too easy for me I can complain that I don't ever like many of them. That may just be me though. I still think The Works is a great place but to be a proper training facility it needs a few tweaks. However, it's always rammed so if I owned it I probably wouldn't be doing much tweaking.

Paul Bennett said...

Yeah they're definitely onto a winner financially and it works really well for beginners and intermediates, I mean I wouldn't suggest Nat goes down the foundry instead.
I'm guessing they'll add some harder problems at a later date but again they'll be an after thought and like a couple of the other ones they'll just be thrown up and not actually climbed.
Anyway I'll stop being a bore about it.

Fiend said...

Puntering mediocrity sells...

You have a good point though and you're right to raise it. They do have enough space to be "all things to all men". The circuit walls are superb (lack of friction aside) for beginners and intermediates, there is no reason why the comp wall shouldn't be equally superb for intermediate and advanced, and the training board equally superb for advanced and elite. They're not going to lose punter business by having harder problems on the harder walls....and there is a market for it in Sheffield.

P.S. I saw they had some new volumes on the comp wall, doesn't that cheer you up?? ;)

Please disregard anything you read on this page. It's all just random thoughts and opinions based on very little. Therefore it's not worth getting upset about. In fact; just don't bother reading it, it'd make life easier for everyone involved.