Tuesday 14 April 2009

Northern Soul...

The destinations were completely dictated by the weather. Hepburn on Fri morning then when the rain was due, off to Kyloe in for Nat to attempt a crushing of Bad Finger and Bad Company (unfortunately neither of which happened).
In the morning Northern Soul was the only thing of interest. Climbing it without weighting my left hand much at all made it a little more tricky than I expect it really is. Nonetheless a great problem at an ok crag. Sequence:

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

At Kyloe in Nat got stuck into her stuff while I worked away at a bogey problem of mine; Yorkshireman SS. Its one of those problems that despite spending a small age at Kyloe In, I could never really figure it out. Following the Earl's sequence one day left me sure that I'd never do it. Well helpful local lad A was giving out beta left right and centre and it wasn't long before I was at the top of the crack eyeing up the pocket. Slapping to a two finger pocket whilst injured? Err No. I tried the flip LH round and go with RH beta but its never worked for me on the standup. Therefore, I stopped. Completely made up with progress on this problem. Then a dog stole my chalk bag:

Photobucket


In the evening Laterooms had done well and landed us a far too swanky hotel. So swanky in fact that it had a dress code. The evening meal was simply the best I've ever had. It blew everything else I've ever eaten completely out of the water.
On Sat we headed to Shaftoe for Nat to try Soft Center. Despite piling everything we owned onto the mat's as well as doubling everything over she could barely reach the break. Hmmm. I eyed up blood sport. Its a good line but massively morpho. After this the sun came out and did its worst. We laid around for a while before deciding to call it quits. Sunday was spent with the family.
Monday; Slipstones.

Photobucket

It was hot but not too hot. I showed Nat around the crag and we picked off everything easy in sight. After stopping for lunch it was obvious that the temps had risen and the rock was baking. Again, we decided to cut our losses and head home. Skin still in tact and both looking forward to Spain in a weeks time!

6 comments:

Fiend said...

Like the dog chalkbag theft action.

More details on the meal please.

Paul Bennett said...

It was here:
http://closehouse.co.uk/
click 'dining'

Aperitif: Cocktails in the lounge (Mojito and the best I've ever had), they phoned our order through to the restaurant and came and took our drinks through when it was nearly ready.

Starter: Craster crab and scallop lasagne with a shellfish cream
Main: Tenderloin of pork with honey mustard mash and smoked bacon puy lentils.

Desert: Dark chocolate marquis with a raspberry coulées.

Considering I ate in Artisan recently and thought it was pretty darn average, this just blew my mind.

Jasper said...

Hey look Fiend they do Foie gras.....

;-)

bonjoy said...

That sounds good nosh. Must admit I've been very unimpressed with Artisan both times I've been.
Glad you enjoyed NS. Sorry I didn't return your text the other day. Was up in the dales and had no network coverage.

Paul Bennett said...

No worries Jon and thanks for the recommendation.

I take it the huggy thing just to the left is a project?

bonjoy said...

Yeah still a project. Looks good. I suggest to DV he gets on it.

Please disregard anything you read on this page. It's all just random thoughts and opinions based on very little. Therefore it's not worth getting upset about. In fact; just don't bother reading it, it'd make life easier for everyone involved.