Tuesday 4 December 2007

Core Meltdown

I've had a bit of a negative outlook on climbing since returning from Font, I said to myself after my leg that if I struggled to get back into climbing, I'd just accept it and take it easy until my body could cope with it. I've obviously rushed things a little because my fingers are on strike! Someone famous in the climbing world once said that its easy to get strong, its just hard to get strong without getting injured and he hit the nail right on the head. Its evident in a number of people.
Anyway, now I have an A2 injury, these really aren't good for someone who climbs in the manner I do, I crimp everything even jugs. I've been working on open handing and have seen some improvements but these are slow and the collateral ligament sprain on my left hand stops me doing dead hangs anyway.
After reading Ned's blog and reading some other stuff I realized that above doing some sit ups and leg raises i've never really targeted my core. Something else made me remember that Dobbin has been at the board a number of times doing crazy things with gym rings. A quick text to Dobbin and he, Dave and I were all lined up for a rings session early this afternoon. Unfortunately dobbin called in sick early on and the work mounted on me during the day so it was called off.
Just as I was leaving the office/research group room or whatever I should call it, Leeroy rang and he had the necessary knowledge and devotion to show me the way of the rings.
The workout entirely crushed me, highlighting extreme weakness in my stomach and lower back although all the pulling bits of my upper body seemed to be fairly strong. Muscle ups were left until the end but neither of us really understood all this false grip stuff and hence failed miserably. I came home psyched and sore and did some digging on the Internet looking for Dob's workout (I didn't find it), instead i found:



surely if the woman at the end manages one (despite it being very shaky) dense and I can too?

Pictures like this:


make me think that there can be absolutely no harm in doing the kind of workouts that he would have done (even if he was stronger when he was 6 than I am now!)...

Whilst digging I also found this:



how crazy is that? granted some of it isn't that strength related but they prove their strength further on in the video. Plus any man that will lunge his leg through a metal ring at high speed is brave beyond words. I imagine muscle beach to be a strange place, very odd too that it has spawned two very strange cultures, bodybuilding being one and the other being dangerous surfing through abandoned amusement piers that evolved into modern day skateboarding.

I'm going to ache tomorrow...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

muscle ups. i've done 5 consecutive muscle ups. look at me. anyway i got from not being able to do them to that stage in about a month and a hlaf, so i'd say there's alot of learning the exercise.
right a false grip. make a fist, then put the ring between the fingers and the thumb muscle. you're basically resting on the muscle of the thumb and almost crimping the outside of the ring. does that make sense? your wrist is a bit bent at the time.
i got ben to push me through the exercise on my first few sessions.
the website was www.ringtraining.com/training.html i think.

Paul Bennett said...

cheers follicle, after a decent power spot from lee I managed to pull of the shakiest muscle up in the world.
Masonic Dave pulled off a few more but wasn't up for trying to reverse them fearing shoulder failure...

Please disregard anything you read on this page. It's all just random thoughts and opinions based on very little. Therefore it's not worth getting upset about. In fact; just don't bother reading it, it'd make life easier for everyone involved.