Wednesday 21 February 2007

In The Beginning...

I've never been a fan of blogs or really seen the need? However in light of my recent situation I thought it may be a good way to see how things are going (and fill in the masses of time I now don't spend training, its quite amazing I got anything at all done when I was training hard...) I aplogise now for the web address and the lack of title...It's no pear of joy.

It all began about two weeks ago now: After a month off, I finally managed to get back on form, ticking all of the problems I previously climbed at the school with the icing on the cake being Snot and Stuey in a session once again, I then took Natalie down to the climbing works for her first taste of climbing and again on the Saturday (whilst nursing a niggling finger). The idea was for her to climb and me to bimble about, the night was going well with only 30 mins left until closing, after dispatching a few problems on the comp wall I set about the two new black ones, making short work of the central crimpy line, I moved over to the roof section. I was feeling great, nice and strong and cruising until I got to the last move, the lefthand pocket had that "new and greasy" feeling but never the less I pulled and hit the top jug. Then every point of contact I had all slipped at once. I hit the mat with an almighty cracking sound (similar to someone stamping on a nice thick bit of 2" x 4"), and shouted...a lot. It didn't take long to realise what I'd done, my right leg was fairly messed up and definately broken, lucky for me at this point I didn't see the bone pertruding from my shin or I'm sure I would of blacked out or at least been sick. Natalie and others remained composed and an ambulance was called.

On arrival of the paramedic I was covered in what must have been every man and his dog's down jacket. Shortly afterwards the ambulance arrived and I was soon given a nice shot of Morphine or so. After this they proceeded to remove my boots, as we found out tight fitting dragons are NOT ideal in this situation, they cut them to ribbons but in the end just had to pull.





Next up it was time for air and gas, the way I'd positioned myself on the mat after the accident was with my broken leg underneath me and unfortunately that meant I had to be moved or "straightened" in order for the paramdics to move me (and to find a pulse in my foot, which they did, they drew a cross on my heal to mark its position). The next minute or so was the most painful of my life, the paramedics straightened my leg and placed it in an air splint (after straightening the cross on my heal had moved to just below my big toe!!!). Ouch. After this all that remained was to roll onto a stretcher and be lifted out to the ambulance. The paramedic ensured me the lady was a great driver, seconds later she stalled. Not the best start ever. On arrival in the hospital the ER doctors put my bone back in my leg, it was the first time in the evening anyone had been honest with me, they told me it was going to hurt. After that it was some more drugs for me and a half-cast was fitted and that was that...

1 comment:

dobbin said...

facking hell! harrowing reading!

Please disregard anything you read on this page. It's all just random thoughts and opinions based on very little. Therefore it's not worth getting upset about. In fact; just don't bother reading it, it'd make life easier for everyone involved.