Friday 9 April 2010

Ego

Climbers with large ego's, I'd advise you avoid the climbing works until team Mammut have left.

Last night the works was a truly dismaying place to climb. On the one hand you have Sheffields stongest bouncing up the board like they eat a diet of low fat helium and on the other you've got a few blokes that look like Euro waddage, and some guy who looks a bit like David Lama swinging around and generally throwing some crazy shapes.

I have to say I'm struggling a lot at the minute. I'm climbing 'nicely' outside which is what should matter but I have to admit I struggle not to beat myself up when indoors I'm getting burnt off left right and center. In all honesty I thought I was above it all but when everyone is stronger than you and cruising things that you're failing on it all gets a bit much.
Viewed objectively last nights sessions wasn't all that bad, given I left work late and didn't get to the wall until 8.15. I put to bed a couple of problems that had been frustrating me, floated up a couple of crimpy numbers (which leaves me even more confused about the state of my RH A2). However what sticks in my mind is the amateurish approach I had to the session. Not resting, missing sequences and generally doing far too much volume before getting frustrated that I can't tick yet another of the frustrating (big lock) moves at the end of a session.
I think a lot of us judge our own performance by looking at those around you. If the pack are all behind then you're undoubtedly going well, if one person speeds away then he/she is on good form. If everyone else has seemingly lept forward a huge amount and left you trailing? I just don't know. 6 Months of routes is good for one thing, but when you go for Stamina the moves become so ridiculously easy that all of your power just flows away.
One thing I know for certain is that it'd be good to have someone to bounce off during a session. A few weeks ago I bumped into Stu at the Foundry (before the juggy big move problems came along) and had a great session. At the works I tend to arrive with Nat, warm up and then we both head our seperate ways. Its hard to ensure you take an objective look at problems and the necessary rest without anything else to do other than stand around a look like a lemon.
Hoepfully I'll soon be able to definitively say whether or not my A2 is a real problem. If it isn't then I think its time to start trying just a little harder.

No comments:

Please disregard anything you read on this page. It's all just random thoughts and opinions based on very little. Therefore it's not worth getting upset about. In fact; just don't bother reading it, it'd make life easier for everyone involved.