Thursday 11 March 2010

Volume

I think the key to getting back on track with my climbing is simple; volume (not to be mistaken with volumes).
I went from training, to a trip where I climbed most days, to not climbing at all and general apathy. Thats never going to end well. At the start of the trip we ended up at shorter venues and then as we were forced further south the length and style of the routes we were tackling shifted. Thats all well and good, but compare the moves on a Montsant mega-route to that of something on Eldorado wall and you get an idea why I'm currently feeling weak.
Last night I wanted to go to the Foundry, basic problems are for a change what I need rather than what I want. However, Nat has mates she can climb with at the works and she's had even less time climbing since returning and thought Foundry bouldering might be a bit soul destroying. I agreed to go to the works.
The volume thing shone through again as warming up my forearms were feeling somewhat achey and my skin was thin and weepy. Nonetheless I skirted around, picking off a few of the (easier) reds before finishing on the comp wall. To give you an idea of my weakness; I still haven't done the red (the womens final problem). Last night I failed at the last move being a bit of a dunce, I didn't have the energy to get back up there. Oh well.
However, slight progress is once again evident. I have to admit I get slightly frustrated with people telling me how quickly and easily it'll all come back. I have to fight incredibly hard to get strong and maintain it, its not some gift, I put in a lot of effort. I can't just click my fingers and magically be able to pull on through. YES! It will return quickly, simply because I will MAKE it. I'll campus, I'll deadhang, anything. The plus point being that this time, for once in my climbing life, that is actually what I need to do!

No comments:

Please disregard anything you read on this page. It's all just random thoughts and opinions based on very little. Therefore it's not worth getting upset about. In fact; just don't bother reading it, it'd make life easier for everyone involved.