Monday 4 October 2010

Roundabout

Its incredible how it is possible to go so quickly from climbing outdoors all the time, to being aware that everything that can is getting in the way of getting out and it has been almost a month since you did anything really enjoyable on rock. This isn't a good thing but as I approach thesis write up time, deadlines get closer, problems NEED to be solved and Nats new job is leaving us both less and less time, it is reality. Whilst I'm here moaning its also worth remembering that there are a great deal of people far busier than I, who have levels of psych that are just beyond me. Work, Cycling, Climbing, Family etc. I applaud you as I slump on my sofa.


Since Pembroke I've managed very little, a quick dabble up Sheperds crag with Nat and Dad which was far too easy to be anything more than a bit of fun. Climbing as a three and leading every pitch was a bit of a pain if I'm honest and protecting two seconds seemingly defeated the point of using two ropes for what realistically could have been done in one, 60m pitch without too much hassle or forethought.

Alas the day was not wasted as I bumped into one of the first people to take me climbing and teach me a thing or two. Mr 5c Senior, it's been roughly 8 years since I saw him last. Our conversation was cut short as a small child tried their best to cut short their life by taking a tumble and clipping rocks, brances and everything else in sight. The kid was ok.

The slightest hint of climbing has been indoors. Its a funny one this; as Adam pointed out (no doubt whilst smirking), I've done a bit of a U-turn with regards to training, climbing and trad. Its been fun and I hope it'll stay with me for a long time. It may be easy, you mightn't have to be 'that' strong or fit but in reality it tests a whole different skillset, requires different knowledge and ultimately leads to some amazing experiences. There are a number of places in the UK that I still haven't visited, I hope to rectify this. If you're reading this and you once enjoyed a bit of the easy stuff and have never been to the likes of Pembroke I strongly urge you to give it a go. The routes I've done this year have been some of the highest quality that I've done in the whole of the UK. From watching a number of Seals bobbing up and down as I wobble high above a wire, to catching a little bit of sea spray on Rusty Walls, all of it has been fantastic. Despite this, its time I drifted back the other way a little. Comparitively (and I say that to avoid being one of those annyoing people who claims weakness before busting out a few one armers in an L-sit), I'm weak, my fingers are weak, my core is weak and I can't pull for toffee. If i'm going to enjoy my slightly imrpoved footwork after this winter then I'm going to have to re-align the starts and put in some hard work. It seems to be hard work. This summer has left me with a disdain for indoor wallas that previously I never felt, thankfully I still enjoy the masochistic undertones that training gives. Once I get going it'll be fine. So far this has consisted of a couple of trips to the Foundry and a bit of rings. Bring on the psych, albeit slowly as we all know how my body likes to cope with intensity. Snap.

On another note; Finally, someone has contacted me about the Punto which is a good thing as I was getting edgy and the van has been at the very front of my mind as an unnecessary luxury. As Dobbin points out, when you attach a certain value to motoring (even in a van) it gets costly. Do we really need it?

I also tried my best to cost myself yet more money by smashing a few flashes off some hard concrete. They've kind of survived, but it'll definately teach me to be a little less blase with minor gusts. I have to admit, I do quite enjoy dicking around with camera's at the minute. It'd be nice if everything stayed intact.

Have a picture:
Colorful Nat

No comments:

Please disregard anything you read on this page. It's all just random thoughts and opinions based on very little. Therefore it's not worth getting upset about. In fact; just don't bother reading it, it'd make life easier for everyone involved.